Crossing our Fingers

"vvrrmmm vrrrmmmm" Owain happily pushing a dump truck around the waiting room. He was in pure boy heaven. Little did he know we were their for a weight check waiting for the Nurse.

He hates Nurses.

"Owain" the Nurse wearing kid friendly scrubs with elephants on them called out to us in the waiting room. We were the only ones waiting.

I sayed to Owain "It's time to say goodbye to the dump truck"

I swung my black mommy bag over my shoulder and picked Owain up.

"bye bye" Owain waved to the dump truck.

The minute we set foot into the exam room Owain started clinging to me and screaming.

He hates Nurses.

I explained to him "that we are going to see how big he is getting" as I took off his orange shirt.

He continued to scream and tell the nurse "bye bye"

I hate this!

I calmly set my naked little man on the scale as he screams and reaches his arms for me.

I continued to try and comfort Owain by talking to him.

The nurse and I read the scale 18lbs. 15oz.

Not what I was hoping to hear. Six weeks ago Owain weighed 19lbs.3oz.

I know he is tiny for his age but I have been concerned lately with how little he has been eating.

It is so frustrating!

Some days I just want to scream!

Some days I feel like I am failing as a mom because my child won't eat hardly anything at all.

He is nineteen months old and is wearing twelve months clothing.

I begin to express why I am so concerned he is loosing weight. "I am worried that he might of had another recurrence"

"recurrence?" the nurse asked.

I began to explain "Owain was born with left Congital Diaphragmatic Hernia"

"what is CDH" the Nurse asked.

YOUR KIDDING,RIGHT?

A trained professional! A Nurse! A Pediatric Nurse!

Never heard of CDH!

I begin to explain Owain's CDH history. Slightly annoyed that she never heard of CDH.

"oh I see...his been through a lot, no wonder he doesn't like being here." The nurse replied as she looked on the computer trying to find an available appointment to see Dr. H (Owain's pediatrician).

"The next available appointment is the 15th"

I replied cuddling my little man "two weeks! If he had a recurrence we can't wait two weeks."

The Nurse remembered "oh Dr.H is in today working in her office"

She left the room to feel Dr. H in.

Owain begin to calm down and started to fly his toy airplane in the air.

A few minutes later the Nurse returned and told me "Dr.H wants him to have an xray today."

I was thankful that Dr.H was in the office today. She doesn't usually work Fridays.

Owain and I left with two (one for each hand) monster truck stickers.

He was a happy boy now. Not for long.

We met daddy in the pharmacy where he was re filling Owain's penicillin.

I filled him in.

I was so thankful that daddy was with us on this day.

I really hate having to go in while he gets and xray.

It is heartbreaking.

I waited in the waiting area while daddy and Owain were in the xray room.

I could hear my little man scream.

My heart sank.

Tears begin to run down my cheek as I prayed.

Please god don't let this be a recurrence.

Please don't put my baby through another surgery. Another hospital stay.

As I wiped my tears. My two men walked out of the xray room.

I grabbed Owain and gave him a hug and kiss.

The three of us walked back to see Dr.H with xray's in hand.

We were relieved to see that his xray looks the same as his last one right after his third surgery back in November.

Dr.H spoke with Dr.Z (Owain's surgeon) They both feel that maybe he doesn't want to eat because he is still having acid reflex.

Back in December Owain stopped taking his acid reflex medication.

We walked back to the pharmacy to fill his new/old prescription.

Crossing my fingers and praying to god that this is the answer to our eating frustrations with our little man. No surgery just another icky tasting medication.

Dr.H sent Owain's xray to Dr.Z office so he can take a look at them himself and confirm what we saw that everything is exactly how he left it. We have a follow up with Dr.H the day after labor day. She was able to squeeze us in. :-)

In the mean time we are crossing our fingers.

Hoping that this medication helps with his acid reflex.

And our little man begins to eat!

And plump up!!!
2 Responses
  1. I understand everything you described. From the screaming at nurses, to the helpless feeling while they sit naked and reaching for you from the scale, to the utter frustration with growing and eating (or lack of!). You aren't alone!

    I really hope the reflux meds are just what he needs to jump start his eating. Keeping our fingers crossed that it's not a recurrence.

    p.s. I am really upset to read that the nurse didn't know what a CDH is!


  2. Thinking of you little man and praying the eating gets better!