Cradle Crap! !

The first week we brought Owain home from the hospital he broke out really bad with baby acne all over his little forehead. At first I was a little worried thinking it might be a rash we should be concerned about. Being a first time mom of a baby born with CDH,who lost his spleen I tend to worry about everything!

Anyways back to the baby acne, His pediatrician told us not to worry it's just baby acne and it's very common in babies his age. After a few days his acne cleared up. I was amazed how fast baby acne clears up compared to adult acne.

Once our baby was acne free he started to get a little bit of cradle cap on his forehead where his acne was. I wasn't to concerned but then it spread all over his head. I asked his DOC "what we can do to help his cradle cap?" She told us when we give him a bath to use baby shampoo and gentle massage the area and it should come off in the bath.

So we did that and every time after bath his cradle cap looked better. Then the next day it would come back full force. Looking much worse!

So that is when I began the research on the internet and asking other mom's what they use to help prevent cradle cap?

Considering everything Owain has been through I know that this is nothing, no big deal. I am actually thankful this is our only concern. Cradle cap is just really annoying! My baby boys head looked like a scaly lizard! Not to mention it looked really itchy!

Some of the suggestion were to rub baby oil on it, so I did that and it would look better for maybe that day but then the next day it would be back!

So I tried baby lotion, didn't really do much. Nothing really seemed to work and the cradle cap just kept getting worse and worse!

Finally the cradle cap was to the point that it was ready to flake off. So I helped by gently peeling it off while Owain slept. It didn't seem to face him one bit.

So now Owain has no more cradle cap. I wanted to cry even though his cradle cap is gone. When I removed his cradle cap his cute little fuzzy hair (it reminded me of a little baby chick) came off with it! So now my baby is completely bald on the top of his. He still has some hair around the sides. It looks like it was drawn on with a pencil. I miss his fuzzy hair! I can't wait for it to grow back!

After all this I think Owain feels pretty good that he doesn't have that thick cradle cap anymore and it doesn't seem to bother him that he looks lie a little old balding man. He still looks adorable in mommy and daddy's eyes.

Wow just listen to me go on and on about cradle crap! You can see that I was slightly annoyed by this minor problem I will stop randomly on.
0 Responses