is feeling a bit anxious...

Bright and early before the sun is up we will be heading to the hospital for Owain's scheduled MRI. I have known about this MRI for a couple of months now. Plenty of time to prepare. get my nerves under control. Yet I am feeling  anxious. Can't really put my finger on it. It's not like this is Owain's first MRI . He had one at six weeks old before we brought him home from the NICU. Back then his little brain looked A okay.We were pleased.

It's not like tomorrow's MRI will be the first big test of sorts that our little man will have to be under anesthesia.This is nothing compared to his four major surgeries he has been through. Nothing at all. It should be a piece of cake. So why am I feeling a bit anxious? I guess I am anxious for the results. Let me back up a few months ago to the very incident that is leading us to tomorrow's MRI.

It was like any other day unbuckling Owain out of his car seat. Except he had a blank stare. He was unresponsive when I  repeatedly called his name. What seemed like forever. Probably only a few seconds but immediately I new something was wrong. It looked like he was having a seizure. A petit mal seizure to be exact. I am no Doctor but I,myself have been living with a seizure disorder my whole life. When not on medication I could have anywhere from five to hundred petit mals a day. Sometimes those petit mals could turn into terrifying, helpless out of control grand mal that I would never wish upon on my worst enemy. If I had any enemies..I hate seizures yet I am thankful that I new what to look for. Most people don't even know what a petit mal looks like.I new that day in the car my little man wasn't just staring off into space day dreaming. I hoped and prayed he was. Just to be sure we made an appointment with his pediatrician.

I really thought I was just over reacting. No way my little man was having some type of seizure.No way. After all my seizure disorder is not genetic. I have a scar on my brain due to lack of oxygen during a traumatic birth. Owain also had a traumatic birth. Way more traumatic than mine was way back in the 70's. Since birth he has also had four major surgeries. So I guess it's possible he could of had a seizure?Maybe he has a scar on his brain too?  but I really didn't think so. I really honestly thought I was over reacting. So after meeting with the neurologist to learn what the results were  of his EEG. I was shocked to hear. Yep it defiantly showed signs of a seizure.WHAT? We left that appointment in complete and utter shock with  Diazepam in hand. A rectally medication that would only need to be given if he has had a seizure longer than four minutes. Thankfully we haven't needed to use it.

(Owain waking up after his EEG. )

So tomorrow we go in for an MRI.The MRI will give us a much better picture of what is going on in that big brain of his. Like I said I am  a bit anxious for the results. I really don't want my little man to have to go through what I have went through growing up with a seizure disorder.His been through enough in his two and half years. Way more than most of us have in a life time. It could be worse.I know first hand that seizures suck but they are not the end of the world. If in deed he does have a seizure disorder we caught it early.He could out grow it. Heck if my seizure disorder didn't go undetected for the first fifteen years and I was treated early on I might of out grown my seizure disorder.

So in five hours our alarm will be waking us up. Knowing hubs and I will push snooze a few times. Before we wake our sleeping little man and head to the hospital before the sun is even up. I am not sure when we will get the results of his MRI I hope we don't have to wait to terribly long. I better sign off try and get a few hours of sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

good night.
3 Responses
  1. Wow. I am so sad to read this. He's been through so much already. Like you said, it's not the end of the world, but it still sucks! Big time. We'll be thinking of you guys and hoping for some good news.
    -Kellie


  2. We are not given more than we can handle, but sometimes you have to wonder... Stay strong! We will be praying for smooth sailing through the procedure and good news all around.

    :-) Patty


  3. I am so sorry you are going through this. Owain is a fighter. Hoping you got good news and are praying for you.