Tonight I am calm

The last two weeks I have been internet less. The first couple of days I was having some hot  sweaty with drawls. I thought I was going to die not having the access to Hulu,  Facebook, gmail and the ten billion blogs I follow.Any time I had a burning question like are zebra's black with white stripes or white with black stripes? My friend Google was no longer right their to answer.  Seriously what did we ever to before the internet? The first couple of days were the hardest.You know with the burning desire to read my latest FB friends up dates but  once my panicky cold sweats slowly faded away. I began to realize I can breathe with out the internet and life with go on.....

and it did we celebrated Owain's second birthday sniff sniff. His birthday was pretty low key since our little man caught a not so pleasant viral infection.He was sick but not to sick to eat some rainbow cup cakes with sprinkles.
                               

After a week of being cooped up in the house apartment we got back into the swing of our normal weekly routine story time at our local Library,play dates, walks to the park on a dry sunny day.Owain also had his last scheduled x ray and a follow up appointment with his amazing surgeon Dr.Z. Everything looked good.Gore tex patch still working as part of his left diaphragm keeping all of his organs that should be below his diaphragm below where they belong. So we thought....

Something doesn't quite look right compared to his last chest x ray back in September. Dr.Z ordered an ultra sound to triple check. We had the ultra sound this after noon. The technician and the Doctor (remembered Owain from a  year and three months ago when he had his first and second recurrence.) Just like last time they weren't able to tell he has yet another recurrence. Owain's chest is unique. Not like your average two year old.Normally  the technician will pin point where the diaphragm is by locating the spleen ( his spleen bleed to death during his first repair surgery at 17 days old), kidney ect.... Since everything is in it's unique spot or missing it is much harder to pin point and determine a recurrence. Tomorrow Owain will have a CT scan. Then we will have some answers.
       Owain at nine months getting a CT scan
    
Tonight I feel calm. I remember when he had his first and second recurrence I was a nervous wreck of the thought of my baby having to go through yet another surgery. another hospital stay. I still don't like the idea of him having to go through all that yet again but I am calm. It is what it is. and I know that my little man is one tough CDH warrior. With all three of his surgeries he recovered quickly. Even after his first repair surgery at seventeen days old he nearly died,lost his spleen. He was in bad shape but five days later he was off the ventilator and in my arms for the first time. If my little man could get through that, surgery #2 (first recurrence), surgery #3 (second recurrence). Surgery 2 and 3 were only a day a part from one another.He recovered like a champ and  we were   home after only six days in the hospital.So tonight I am calm. We don't have answers yet if Owain has had another recurrence and will need a fourth repair surgery but   tonight I am calm. I am confident that no matter what happens my little man with handle it like a champ.
3 Responses
  1. It always makes me wonder what makes them reherniate...I have read several blogs where their baby has reherniated one, two or three times, and others where there baby never reherniated..

    I am hoping that this is not another reherniation! Poor Owain! :(

    But happy belated #2 Owain! :) Glad you are feeling better too! :)


  2. Jen Says:

    Happy Birthday Owain! Thinking good thoughts for no reherniation!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Amber,
    I am glad you have internet back, it's crazy how dependent we are isn't it?
    I will keep you all in my prayers, that you remain calm and continue to feel peaceful and that there is no reherniation. BUT if there is, that Owain's just as much of a warrior as he always has been and kicks it and is back home where he belongs.
    Keep us posted!
    darcy