Happy Ending....Happy Begingings

Yesterday was a special day that I have been waiting for since last November. Most of you (family and friends) have heard me mention Owen and his family at one time or another.
If you haven't heard me mention him now I will fill you all in.

Way back last September the night of my twenty week ultra sound when our baby boy was diagnosed with left CDH (Congital Diaphragmatic Hernia ). I didn't sleep a wink that night. Instead I did has much research on the internet to learn everything about CDH. I never heard of this birth defect and I was terrified of the unknown. In the mist of my research I came across Owen's story who was born March 2007 with right CDH. I was completely in tears after reading his story. Knowing that my baby boy is going to have to face similar obstacles. At the same time his story gave me hope. After reading Owen's story I left Darcy (Owen's mom) a short message that my baby was just diagnosed with CDH. I didn't think I would hear back from her but I did! The very next day she emailed me. That email meant so much finally some one to talk to that knows exactly how I am feeling. Someone that has walked in my shoes and has the happy ending I am hoping we will have.

Darcy and her family were so kind to invite my husband and I into their home so we can meet Owen. So in November we jumped into the car and drove to their home (they only lived a couple of hours away). They both were incredible. They shared their story showed us pictures of Owen while he was in the NICU (the same NICU I planned on having our son). The best part of our visit was meeting Owen he was seven months old and looking at him you would never know he had such a rough start. He was full of smiles and looked like any other seven month old (only cuter and braver).

I left having even more hope for our baby and I was so incredible thankful that the Owen and his family walked into our life's. Thanks to google!

The rest of my pregnancy I prayed that our baby boy would fight hard and that we would get to bring him home healthy and that one day we would be able to get our two boy's together. I am happy to report that my prayers have been answered. If you have been reading this blog you know Owain is happy and healthy. Yesterday we meet the Owen and his parents at the same hospital were both boy's were born and fought for their life. It was wonderful to be able get together and have our happy ending. When this crazy CDH journey began I never thought in a million years that I would have made life time friends but I did. I will always be thankful for Darcy and Danny opening their arms to us. I am looking forward to getting our families together in the near future.

Thanks a million Darcy,Danny and Owen family! You guys rock!

Here are some pictures of our little get together.



For those of you that don't know when we found out we were having a baby boy we were having a big disagreement on what his name should be. At the time I liked Kaden and my husband liked Cadmen (I'm not sure if I spelled that right.) After reading Owen's story we both really liked the name so we decided Owen it will be except we will make it our own and spell it Owain. That is how we named our baby boy after Owen.
3 Responses
  1. What an amazing and inspirational story!


  2. That is so wonderful! I think that connection between CDH families is amazing and special.


  3. Fer Says:

    It's so great to see that Owen and Owain finally met :)