what not to sing...

It was late a quarter after minute.

I was drifting in and out of sleep on the couch while an episode  of Dirty Jobs playing on the flat screen. I was waiting for hubs to come home from a guys night out.Failing miserably to keep my eyes open.  When I heard a frantic screaming "waaaawaaaaawaaaaawaaa" it took me a minute to realize where the screaming was coming from Owain's room. I jumped up off the couch in a daze running to check on my little man. Slinky kitty (Owain's cat) was sitting outside of his door trying to claw his way into the room. He loves his Owain and hates to hear him cry,as do I.

I stumbled into Mr.Owain's room to see him almost  hyperventilate with big old crocodile tears run down his cheeks. He was still laying in his big boy bed covered up with his blankie. I scooped him up into my arms and asked him "honey what's the matter?"
 In between tears he proceeded to tell me "rain cloud Ma-mom rain cloud!"
"oh honey you just had a bad dream"
I held him close rocking him. I started to sing him a lullaby. The only problem with that is I couldn't think of any lullaby and I was till very much in a sleep daze but I wanted nothing more than to comfort my boy. So I sang the first song that came to my mind.

"theeeee iiiiiitsy biiiiiiitsy spideeeeeeeeer"
before I even got to the next lyric he broke out into a  scream

Note to self: when your child has a dream about a rain cloud don't sing them the itsy bitsy spider song.
bad idea a really really bad idea.


I quickly changed tones. Forget the dang lullaby. I grabbed the nearest book and started to read him Chimps don't wear glasses by Laura Numeroff.


Plan B worked Owain's crocodile tears faded away.He forgot about the scary gray rain cloud as he laughed at those silly chimps wearing glasses while they beat on the drums,played the guitar,sang in the microphone those silly old chimps they think theri rock stars.They were smart enough or at least wake enough not to sing itsy bitsy spider.

I spent the next forty five minutes reading books snuggling with my little man. In between books we did have to look out the window to check and see if their were any rain clouds.Hubs came home from his guys night out and we tucked Owain back into bed. "Good night Mr.Owain we love you!, sweet dreams!"

0 Responses