Say goodbye to my little monster and hello big boy!

Every since we got back from our labor day weekend trip Owain has decided that he is a big boy now and that he wants to sleep in his big boy crib. You might remember me posting awhile back about how I created a monster. Bed time in my house use to be a long drawn out process. It use to take me three house to get our little man in a deep enough sleep that he wouldn't wake up when I laid him down in his crib.


Our nightly routine use to go something like this, I would give him his bottle and his cocktail (1oz,formula with his penicilin). Burp him, rock him for at least half an hour ,sometime longer. Then I would lay my sleeping boy down in his crib. As soon as I would walk away he would wake up screaming. This would go on for three hours just amount every night. Don't worry Owain wouldn't scream for three hours but we would go through this routine until he was finally in a deep enough sleep. So that mommy could have some mommy time. I usually use my mommy time to wash bottles,eat dinner,take a shower or just relax .You ask where is daddy during all of this? At work, daddy works swing so he usually gets to miss the whole bedtime routine.Lucky for him.


After a few months of this I thought I was going to go bananas. I desperately needed my mommy time. I love snuggling with my little man and rocking him but taking three hours to get to sleep just wasn't working. So I decided after rocking him didn't work I would lay him in his crib with his soothie ,tuck him in and tell him it's time to go to sleep( I signed sleep too). As soon as I would walk away (out of eyesight from Owain) he would pull out his soothie and cry. This part was never easy for me I hated standing by listening to my sweet baby cry. I would let him cry for about ten minutes (the longest ten minute ever!) At first Owain never stopped crying in that ten minutes so I would walk back into the room pick him up tell him it's time to go to sleep and rock him for a few minutes . After this cycle (sometimes I would do this over again for an hour) he usually would go right back to sleep. Still this whole process was taking awhile. Then finally something amazing happened! Owain decided he was ready to go to sleep all by himself! Bedtime and nap time is a piece of cake now. This is our new routine and I love it! After his bottle and some snuggle time I give him his soothie tell him it's time to go to sleep and guess what? He does just that without any tears. Sometimes he plays then he fall asleep. I can't believe what a big boy he is and how incredible easy bedtime is now.Woohoo!

Wow this post is getting to be much longer than I anticipated. So Iwill leave you with this picture of my little man sleeping like a baby!
1 Response
  1. Fer Says:

    He looks so peaceful.