Update on our little warrior

Wow I thought we would be home by now! I should know by now you just never know with the crazy CDH roller coaster ride. Many ups and downs and crazy turns. Right now we seem to be at a smooth and steady track. Owain is slowly headed in the right direction. We are hoping maybe by thanks giving we will be home?Cross our fingers!

I have always known that Owain had a 15% chance of re herniating Considering when he had his first repair surgery at two and half weeks old he was missing 90% of his diaphragm and his amazing surgeon used a gore tex patch to close up his hole. I just never thought that he would need two repairs in the same week! That one caught us all by surprise.

On Wednesday (daddy's 29 birthday) the Doctor were talking about letting us go home.I thought could this really be a possibility to go home a day after Owain's repair surgery?We were expecting to atleast stay 3-5 days. That is if everything goes smoothly. We were trying not to get our hopes up.

As you all know we didn't go home. We stayed so Owain could have another repair surgery. Now this is were the roller coaster ride decided to take some crazy dips and turns. I always hated this part of the ride. I felt so sick to my stomache! I hated the idea of my baby boy having a more invasive surgery only a day after his last surgery.I was terrified but at the same time I feel we are so incredible lucky that they caught this before we headed home.

We didn't really know exactly why Owain re herniated until the surgeon were up close with his diaphragm. What happened was with his surgery on Tuesday he had a little bit of tissue on his left side and that is where the surgeons sewed his diaphragm to the tissue(that was the best case scenario) Well not for Owain the tissue wasn't strong enough to hold so he had a little bit of bowl poking through.This time around they sewed his third gore tex patch to part of his ribs. I am praying to god that this holds!

Yes,now our little warrior has three gore tex patches closing up the hole in his diaphragm and he not only has one cool warrior scar but two, plus three holes (from his surgery on Tuesday).

Owain is headed in the right direction. He is slowly getting his appetite back and is needing less pain medication. Today he was his happy self. It was great seeing him laugh and play again.

We know he is feeling better when he thinks it is funny when he pulls off mommy's glasses! I have been trying to put a stop of this game but right now he could pretty much get away with anything. Pretty much all day he has been playing this game. It's pretty cute he gets this mischievous twinkle in his eye (the same one his daddy gets) then he laughs and makes a move for mommy's glasses. I can't help but laugh too.

Thank You to every one who has been praying for our little man. Keep them coming because they are working!
6 Responses
  1. Sounds like Owain is on the right track. He will surely be able to impress the ladies with all of his warrior scars. I will be thinking/praying for you guys and hope you are home for Thanksgiving!


  2. I am glad that things seem to be doing better now. Hopefully you will be home within the next couple of days.

    Kaden has gone through 5 repairs (I believe this includes the initial repair, I have kind of lost count). This last one they did, they cut the muscle that goes up his left side to his arm (I don't know what it is called) and pulled it down to use as the patch. I don't want to say how things are going with it, I would probably jinx us...so you can guess.

    Well, thinking of you guys and keeping you all in my prayers.


  3. Gina Says:

    Wow! Owain and Wyatt can be gortex patch buddies since they both have three patches:)) It is so nice to hear that he is doing better. Pulling off glasses is always a great sign!! Hope you are home by Thanksgiving.

    Gina


  4. Darcy Says:

    I am so glad that Owain is doing better. What a worrisome few days you have had!
    I pray that he only continues to improve and that you are able to be home by Thanksgiving.
    darcy


  5. We are so happy that Owain is recovering. You all have been through a lot and you definitely have a fighter in your family. Well done, Owain! Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

    Hugs,
    Ingrid, Alex & Alina


  6. I'm sorry I have been absent during your journey with this reherniation. I can't imagine how difficult and frightening this has all been.

    Owain is so strong and so amazing. I'm glad he is doing better and I hope he will be home in time to enjoy some turkey...well, maybe some mashed potatoes.

    Amy
    Liviana's mom