My Biggest Fears Might Become a Reality!

Back in march when our little warrior was six weeks old and out of the woods we were finally able to bring our baby boy home and be a family. I was so excited! Their were times during his fight against CDH that I was terrified that we would never have this day. I was on cloud nine our baby boy is going home and he is healthy. Since that day my biggest fear was Owian re herniate. I new since he was missing 90% of his left diaphragm that he could very well reherniate. Now my biggest fear might be come a reality. Yesterday after Owain's xray we took a look at them with his surgeon Dr.Zigman. I immediately new something was wrong. I am not an expert but I have seen enough of my son's xray to tell that something was wrong. Dr.Zigman confirmed it when he left the room with the xray to compare to his last xray taken five months ago.He never leaves the room with the xray at any of our other appointments. After a few minutes Dr.Zigman came back with the xray and explained to us " It looks like maybe part of the bowl is either poking through his diaphragm or it's just pushing up on his diaphragm. " I immediately started to panic on the inside. I was trying to remain calm on the outside. I was thinking this is what I have been afraid of! I don't want my baby to have to go through another surgery,be incubated. I have seen so many other CDH babies have to go though another surgery and each time it breaks my heart and now their is a possibility that Owian will be next. I am trying really hard not to freak out here! Dr.Zigman ordered an ultra sound to get a better look. I was ready to go from his office to get the ultra sound but we have to wait until sometime next week! I hate having to wait! Being a Friday and Dr.Zigman didn't see it has being urgent he felt Owian will be okay. Now we just have to play the waiting game.The good news is Owain doesn't seem to be in any pain. He hasn't been showing any signs that he might have re herniated. He is still eating and is his happy self.

On a happy note Owian finally got to meet his god mother Aunt Erin. It was great to finally be able to introduce them. She didn't come empty handed. She brought Owain some really cool toys.That were a big hit! Thanks Aunt Erin!
Later I dressed Owain up and walked him over to his best buddies house. Aren't they cute? Our little bear and pumpkin! Happy Halloween!

As soon as I know more I will let everyone know ASAP. Please keep our little warrior in your prayers. Thank You!
5 Responses
  1. Darcy Says:

    Oh Amber, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine. This was one of my biggest fears too. But Owain is such a fighter! He will do great. I will keep you all in my prayers and wait to hear more...
    And this is not said to scare you, but remember to keep an eye out for signs of bowel obstruction too. Since he already seems to have intestines through the hole if they get kinked or obstructed that could be more problematic for the little guy. I have heard stories of CDH kiddos that ended up with both at the same time. (I think one sign is inability to pass stool but you could google it).
    Again, you all are in my prayers,
    darcy


  2. kelleyfamily3 Says:

    Owain is in my prayers. Hugs Amber and keep your head up. luv ya guys! hollie ryan and Roo!


  3. I am so sorry that this may be happening. The "good" news is that if it is re-herniated that these kiddos seem to heal a lot faster. Kaden has re-herniated 4 times (I think, it could be 5, I kind of lost count). The last few repair surgeries he has stayed in for no more then a few days. I am sure that no matter what, everything will be fine. I know that it totally sucks and I pray that he will be fine and that his bowel is just pushing up on the diaphragm. The last x-ray of Kaden's (which was about a year ago) looked as though he re-herniated again, but in the end they decided that it too was just bowel pushing on the diaphragm.

    I hope you do not have to wait too long to get him in, that you guys can get in by Monday. Keeping you in my prayers. I hope to hear good news soon.

    Amy


  4. I found your site through Kaden and Angel Ava's mommy. I am so sorry to hear about the re-herniation that sucks so bad for lack of better words. My son has re-herniated 5 times and I cried each time they told me the news but the good news is that they recover so much faster CJ was generally in the hospital for only 3-4 days each time depending on recovery (whether it was flu season or not.) I think it was harder on me than it was on him though. Hang in there I know its tough.


  5. Oh, No. I know that fear and I hate everytime I hear that a little one is having to go through this again. He will bounce back from this in no-time.

    You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    Amy
    livianasjourney.blogspot.com